Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Thoughts on the Book Fair



Some folks think I won't be overly excited about the book fair taking over the library for a week, but, in fact, I rather enjoy it.  It is sort of like working in a book store for a time. There is definitely a different vibe.

Students are so excited about shopping and buying books.  Sometimes, I'm taken aback by how excited these kids get about the prospect of buying books. I mean they see a lot of books in their lives and most of them get to buy books rather often, but there is something magical about the school book fair.  I get it.  I feel the same way.  Like being let loose in a candy store.  So many colorful covers.  So many books to look at and pick up and feel in my hands; to turn over and read the flap or the back cover.  To weigh in my mind, which one do I want to buy more - this one or this one?

I also find out what my students are really interested in.  I get to see what books they select and ask them about why that book appeals to them.  I get to help a student who is looking for, " that perfect book for my little sister" or field the frequent queries about where the Minecraft books are.

Yes, it is rather chaotic and my regularly scheduled week has been pre-empted, but I can handle it. Its only once a year, afterall.  In exchange for my regularly scheduled library programing I get so much thrilling energy and excitement from my students and it is all centered around and about books.

Read On!
Ms. J.

p.s. I ended up buying four books this week - definitely the danger of being in such close proximity to so many great new books. My purchases included: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease, The Boys in the Boat (for Young Readers) by Daniel James Brown, a really beautiful paperback copy of The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling and The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle by Janet Fox for my 8th grade daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment